CANADIAN ARCTIC SEA/AIR BASE AT RADSTOCK BAY, DEVON ISLAND, N.W.T.
The paper discusses Concept development, Surveys, Engineering and Economics of the planned Canadian Arctic Sea/Air Base at Radstock Bay on Devon Island, Northwest Territories, Canada. The author reports how transportation and logistic requirements of the oil exploration efforts in the Canadian Arctic have led him to initiate during the summer 1968 private concept studies which were followed by surveys and an engineered plan for the establishment of a Sea/Air Base and Terminal in the Canadian Arctic Archipelago, suitable and economical for serving resource development in the Canadian Islands for both the exploratory and the productive phases. The author presents the study background, references, ecological and other considerations, all of which then resulted in a detailed survey expedition led by the author in October 1969, at location Radstock Bay. He describes the survey methods applied and the results obtained, covering the land- as well as the underwater shore-surveys, the latter carried out from the surface and by diving. The presentation further covers the interpretation and conversion of the survey information into engineering terms and plans, and the relevant cost schedules and economic projections. The next part of the paper describes the ice-break-up and ice-movement survey carried out during the summer 1970 with the help of a time/motion movie. The analysis and results are presented in terms of vessel operations and proposed dock installation at Radstock Bay. The last part of the presentation covers a preview of the 1971 survey plans for recording the freeze-up of Radstock Bay and surrounding waters as well as documentation of previous human activities in this area, of which there is ample evidence in form of structural remnants and artifacts. The author has a 30-minute movie taken during the 1969 survey expedition and a 10-minute movie from the 1970 survey, (Movies are Super-8), as well as about 60 slides showing the summer and winter conditions at Radstock Bay.
- Abstract of paper delivered at the First International Conference on "Port and Ocean Engineering under Arctic Conditions" held at Trondheim, Norway, August 23-30, 1971
- Steltner, HAR
- Publication Date: 1971-8-23
- TRT Terms: Cold weather construction; Ice; Port operations; Ports; Surveys; Transportation planning
- Geographic Terms: Arctic Regions
- Old TRIS Terms: Arctic engineering; Arctic surveys; Ice surveys
- Subject Areas: Marine Transportation; Terminals and Facilities;
- Accession Number: 00025686
- Record Type: Publication
- Source Agency: Arctic Institute of North America
- Files: TRIS
- Created Date: Mar 28 1972 12:00AM