INVENTORY OF FREIGHT TRANSPORTATION IN THE SOUTHWEST/PART I: MAJOR USERS OF TRANSPORTATION IN THE DALLAS-FORT WORTH AREA
The report presents an inventory of the existing facilities, services, and practices of major shippers and distributors in the Dallas-Fort Worth area. Data presented for various manufacturing industries were analyzed in order to determine the market destinations for specific commodities and the mode of shipment selected by the shipper or distributor. Personal interviews with 41 major users of transportation (representing a cross-section of manufacturers and nonmanufacturers in the Dallas-Fort Worth area) revealed the existence of a complex and intricate distribution system. Included in the inventory is information on daily and seasonal fluctuations in volume, variation in fleet size, variation in warehouse capacity, and patterns of goods movement. The results of this study indicate a growing dependence on the use of motor carriers for freight movements, with nearly two-thirds of all establishments surveyed operating their own private carrier fleet.
- See also Part 3, PB-239 820, and Part 2, PB-241 704.
University of Texas, AustinCouncil for Advanced Transportation Studies
Austin, TX United States 78712
Department of TransportationOffice of University Research, 1200 New Jersey Avenue, SE
Washington, DC United States 20590
- ROBINSON, E
- Publication Date: 1973-12
- Pagination: 84 p.
- TRT Terms: Bulk carriers; Commodity flow; Common carriers; Economic conditions; Economic impacts; Forecasting; Freight forwarders; Freight service; Freight traffic; Freight transportation; Industries; Intermodal services; Intermodal terminals; Inventory; Motor carriers; Private trucking; Retail trade; Shipments; Trade; Traffic forecasting; Transportation operations; Wholesale trade
- Uncontrolled Terms: Trade patterns; Transportation management
- Geographic Terms: Oklahoma; Texas
- Old TRIS Terms: Cargo transportation; Commodity shipments; Freight shippers
- Subject Areas: Economics; Freight Transportation; Highways; Motor Carriers; Railroads; Society; Terminals and Facilities;
- Accession Number: 00091407
- Record Type: Publication
- Source Agency: National Technical Information Service
- Report/Paper Numbers: RR-4 Res. Rpt.
- Contract Numbers: DOT-OS-30093
- Files: NTIS, TRIS, USDOT
- Created Date: Jul 15 1975 12:00AM