VORTEX-RELATED ACCIDENTS OVER THE TEN YEAR PERIOD 1964-73
Out of the approximately 45,000 aviation accidents that occurred over the ten-year period 1964-73, in the conterminous United States, wake vortices have been cited as a cause or as factor in 147 accidents by the National Transportation Safety Board (NTSB). These 'vortex-related' accidents have been studied and categorized (by flight phases of the vortex-generating aircraft and the accident aircraft, and other pertinent factors) in this report with the objective of providing historical insight to the Wake Vortex Avoidance System (WVAS) development program. A secondary objective was to explore the possibility of procedural solutions to the vortex problem in various situations.
Mitre Corporation1820 Dolley Madison Boulevard
McLean, VA USA 22102
Washington, DC USA 20591
- Gupta, V P
- Publication Date: 1975-4
- Pagination: 85 p.
- TRT Terms: Aircraft; Aircraft crashes; Landing; Statistics; Takeoff; Turbulence; Vortices; Wakes
- Old TRIS Terms: Aircraft landing
- Subject Areas: Aviation; Data and Information Technology; Vehicles and Equipment;
- Accession Number: 00091329
- Record Type: Publication
- Source Agency: National Technical Information Service
- Report/Paper Numbers: MTS-6852 Final Rpt.
- Contract Numbers: DOT-FA70WA-2448
- Files: NTIS, USDOT
- Created Date: Jul 15 1975 12:00AM