VORTEX-RELATED ACCIDENTS OVER THE TEN YEAR PERIOD 1964-73
Out of the approximately 45,000 aviation accidents that occurred over the ten-year period 1964-73, in the conterminous United States, wake vortices have been cited as a cause or as factor in 147 accidents by the National Transportation Safety Board (NTSB). These 'vortex-related' accidents have been studied and categorized (by flight phases of the vortex-generating aircraft and the accident aircraft, and other pertinent factors) in this report with the objective of providing historical insight to the Wake Vortex Avoidance System (WVAS) development program. A secondary objective was to explore the possibility of procedural solutions to the vortex problem in various situations.
Mitre Corporation1820 Dolley Madison Boulevard
McLean, VA United States 22102
Washington, DC United States 20591
- Gupta, V P
- Publication Date: 1975-4
- Pagination: 85 p.
- TRT Terms: Air transportation crashes; Aircraft; Landing; Statistics; Takeoff; Turbulence; Vortices; Wakes
- Old TRIS Terms: Aircraft landing
- Subject Areas: Aviation; Data and Information Technology; Vehicles and Equipment;
- Accession Number: 00091329
- Record Type: Publication
- Source Agency: National Technical Information Service
- Report/Paper Numbers: MTS-6852 Final Rpt.
- Contract Numbers: DOT-FA70WA-2448
- Files: NTIS, USDOT
- Created Date: Jul 15 1975 12:00AM