SURVEY OF SONIC BOOM PHENOMENA FOR THE NON-SPECIALIST
The purpose of this document is to make available to the non-specialist and non-scientist a review of the technical concepts underlying the work done in the field of sonic boom research. It contains a non-technical discussion of the acoustic mechanisms which are fundamental in sonic boom phenomena, using photographs of water wave analogues. Then the report discusses a variety of basic aspects including: generation, propagation, minimization, human response and social criteria, structural and wildlife response, threshold Mach number operations and simulation methods. The report sites many references and draws extensively on a recent review for investigators in the field of sonic boom prepared by L. J. Runyan and E. J. Kane.
H H Aerospace Design CompanyElmsford, NY United States 10523
Washington, DC United States
- Slutsky, S
- Publication Date: 1975-2
- Pagination: 106 p.
- TRT Terms: Acoustic waves; Animals; Environment; Physiological aspects; Sonic boom; Stress (Physiology); Structural analysis; Structural mechanics; Supersonic aircraft; Wave motion
- Uncontrolled Terms: Structural response
- Old TRIS Terms: Response biology
- Subject Areas: Aviation; Safety and Human Factors;
- Accession Number: 00091284
- Record Type: Publication
- Source Agency: National Technical Information Service
- Report/Paper Numbers: HHA-14 Final Rpt.
- Contract Numbers: DOT-FA74WAI-468
- Files: NTIS, USDOT
- Created Date: Jun 26 1975 12:00AM