FAA LIGHTNING PROTECTION STUDY: LIGHTNING PROTECTION REQUIREMENTS FOR THE ARTS III SYSTEM
The withstand capabilities and the protection requirement for solid-state and integrated circuits of ARTS III susceptible to lightning-induced surges on the buried control and video cables are presented. Susceptible modules and components were identified from the circuit diagrams. If available, the manufacturer's data sheets are used to establish the withstand capabilities of diodes and transistors. Methods are described to estimate the withstand capabilities of other electronic components. In particular, the pulse handling capabilities of resistors is discussed in detail. The withstand voltage levels for each susceptible module and component are treated. A test waveform of (10x1000 microsecs) is used in the analysis. Recommended protection is listed in Appendix A.
- Report from Post Doctoral Program. See also report dated Mar 75, AD-A009 010, rept. no. FAA-RD-75-50.
Rome Air Development CenterGriffiss AFB, NY United States
Washington, DC United States
- Wilkinson, D R
- Chen, C L
- Peele, W D
- Publication Date: 1975-4
- Pagination: 38 p.
- TRT Terms: Air traffic control facilities; Integrated circuits; Lightning; Protection; Semiconductor devices; Solid state electronics; Surges (Fluid mechanics); Terminal air traffic control; Transients
- Old TRIS Terms: Air traffic control terminal; Resistance; Surges
- Subject Areas: Aviation; Operations and Traffic Management; Security and Emergencies; Terminals and Facilities;
- Accession Number: 00091283
- Record Type: Publication
- Source Agency: National Technical Information Service
- Report/Paper Numbers: Final Rpt.
- Contract Numbers: DOT-FA72WAI-356
- Files: NTIS, USDOT
- Created Date: Jun 26 1975 12:00AM