EFFICIENT COMPUTATIONAL DEVICES FOR THE CAPACITATED TRANSPORTATION PROBLEM
This paper presents the details for applying and specializing the work of Ellis Johnson and to develop a primal code for the well-known capacitated transportation problem. The code was developed directly from the work of Johnson, but is similar to codes developed by Glover, Karney, Klingman, and Napier and Srinivasan and Thompson. The emphasis in the presentation is the use of the graphical representation of the basis to carry out the revised simplex operations. This is a means of exploiting the special structure and sparseness of the constraint matrix to minimize computational effort and storage requirements. The results of solving several large problems with the code developed are also discussed.
- Availability: Pub. in Naval Research Logistics Quarterly, v21 n4 p637-647 Dec 74.
United States Air Force AcademyColorado Springs, CO United States 80840-6232
Office of Naval ResearchDepartment of the Navy, 800 North Quincy Street
Arlington, VA United States 22217
Southern Methodist UniversityDallas, TX United States
University of Georgia, ExperimentGeorgia Experiment Station
Experiment, GA United States
- Langley, R W
- Kennington, J
- Shetty, C M
- Publication Date: 1975
- Pagination: 12 p.
- TRT Terms: Algorithms; Calculation; Coding systems; Computer programs; Graphics; Linear programming; Networks; Problem solving; Reprints; Traffic flow; Transportation
- Uncontrolled Terms: Computation; Graphical analysis
- Old TRIS Terms: Machine coding
- Subject Areas: Operations and Traffic Management; Transportation (General);
- Accession Number: 00091028
- Record Type: Publication
- Source Agency: National Technical Information Service
- Files: TRIS
- Created Date: Jun 26 1975 12:00AM