AN APPLICATION OF FRACTURE MECHANICS TO STRUCTURAL ANALYSIS
Deflections of structural elements are frequently determined using simple engineering strength of materials approaches. However, when geometric discontinuities are present, such approaches may lead to excessive errors in the predicted deflection. The present paper suggests a simple technique for refining these deflection predictions using available fracture mechanics data. Use of such techniques leads to predictions which do not differ significantly from 'exact' solutions.
Army Materials and Mechanics Research CenterWatertown, MA United States 02172
- Bluhm, J I
- Publication Date: 1974-11
- Pagination: 10 p.
- TRT Terms: Deflection; Elasticity (Mechanics); Fracture mechanics; Numerical analysis; Structural analysis; Structural design; Structural mechanics
- Subject Areas: Design; Railroads;
- Accession Number: 00090838
- Record Type: Publication
- Source Agency: National Technical Information Service
- Report/Paper Numbers: AMMRC-TR-74-31 Final Rpt.
- Files: TRIS
- Created Date: Jun 26 1975 12:00AM