UNITED STATES AIR FORCE SOIL STABILIZATION INDEX SYSTEM - A VALIDATION
The report covers the validation of a soil stabilization index system which was developed earlier. The index system was originated to aid military engineers in selecting the appropriate type and amount of soil stabilizer to use in pavement construction. A comprehensive review of literature in the soil stabilization field was used to initially develop the index system. Laboratory tests and discussions with experts in soil stabilization were used in the validation phase reported herein. Based on these tests and discussions, several changes have been made to the initial index system, although the original concept has not been altered. The index system is entered with easily determined soil properties and flow charts are followed to arrive at the most suitable stabilizer. Subsystems containing appropriate tests are used to determine specific amounts of stabilizers. Use factors, construction factors and environmental factors are also considered in the decision-making process. Recommendations are included for additional verification studies of the index system.
Texas A&M University, College StationCollege Station, TX USA 77840
Air Force Weapons LaboratoryAir Force Systems Command
Kirtland AFB, NM USA 87117
- Dunlap, W A
- Epps, J A
- Biswass, B R
- Gallaway, B M
- Publication Date: 1975-1
- Pagination: 307 p.
- TRT Terms: Airport runways; Calcium oxide; Construction; Durability; Environmental impacts; Flow charts; Indexes (Information management); Landing fields; Military engineering; Mixtures; Pavements; Paving; pH value; Properties of materials; Reviews; Roads; Soil mechanics; Soil stabilization; Soils; Sulfates; Test procedures; Validation
- Uncontrolled Terms: Soil properties
- Old TRIS Terms: Environmental tests; Flow charting
- Subject Areas: Construction; Environment; Geotechnology; Highways; Materials; Pavements;
- Accession Number: 00090815
- Record Type: Publication
- Source Agency: National Technical Information Service
- Report/Paper Numbers: Final Rpt.
- Contract Numbers: F29601-70-C-0008
- Files: TRIS
- Created Date: Jun 26 1975 12:00AM