MANUAL FOR DEICING CHEMICALS: APPLICATION PRACTICES
This report contains the results of a study to minimize the loss to the environment of chemicals used in controlling snow and ice on highways. Practical guidelines are presented for the use of deicing chemicals. (1) Supervisory aspects of proper chemical usage are defined, including organization and personnel training. (2) Efficient snow and ice control requires good judgment and appropriate action. Elements of proper decision-making are discussed, including weather forecasting, setting chemical application rates, and accounting for chemical usage. (3) The backbone of winter road maintenance is equipment. General requirements and major equipment classes are described. Methods are given for accurate spreader calibrations. (4) Means are described for developing and enlisting the support of citizens and drivers for winter road maintenance policies. (5) Legal requirements for and constraints on snow and ice control are described.
- See also report dated Jul 74, PB-236 152.
Little (Arthur D), IncorporatedAcorn Park
Cambridge, MA USA 02140
National Environmental Research CenterAdvanced Waste Treatment Research Laboratory
Cincinnati, OH USA
- Richardson, D L
- Terry, R C
- Metzger, J
- Carroll, R J
- Publication Date: 1974-12
- Features: Figures; Photos; References; Tables;
- Pagination: 164 p.
- TRT Terms: Calcium chloride; Cargo handling equipment; Cold weather; Deicers (Equipment); Deicing; Deicing chemicals; Environmental protection; Federal government; Highways; Legislation; Maintenance; Maintenance equipment; Management; Manuals; Materials management; Operations; Personnel; Planning; Public relations; Regulations; Sand; Snow and ice control; Snowmobiles; Sodium chloride; State government; Training; Water pollution; Weather forecasting
- Uncontrolled Terms: Deicers; Public support
- Old TRIS Terms: Management planning
- Subject Areas: Administration and Management; Education and Training; Environment; Highways; Law; Maintenance and Preservation; Planning and Forecasting; Society; Vehicles and Equipment;
- Accession Number: 00090719
- Record Type: Publication
- Source Agency: National Technical Information Service
- Report/Paper Numbers: Final Rpt.
- Contract Numbers: EPA-68-03-0154
- Files: TRIS
- Created Date: Jun 26 1975 12:00AM