MIXTURE DESIGN CONCEPTS, LABORATORY TESTS AND CONSTRUCTION GUIDES FOR OPEN GRADED BITUMINOUS OVERLAYS
A review of the literature together with field experience gained in Texas has resulted in a modification of the Federal Highway Administration design method for open-graded asphalt friction courses. The extension of this procedure involved the development of design curves for synthetic aggregate mixtures over a range of air void contents. Field surveys were made in four districts of the Texas Highway Department where open-graded asphalt friction courses. The extension of this procedure involved the development of design curves for synthetic aggregate mixtures over a range of air void contents. Field surveys were made in four districts of the Texas Highway Department where open-graded bituminous mixes have been placed as trial sections and/or contract jobs. Data collected include (a) freeze-thaw of field cores, (b) Mays Ride Meter measurements, (c) texture measurements by two methods, (d) water outflow measurements, (e) frictional performance, (f) construction guides and (g) types of expected or observed distress with suggestions for remedial action.
- Prepared in cooperation with Texas Highway Dept., Austin.
Arlington, TX USA 76011
Washington, DC USA 20590
Texas State Department of Highways & Public TranspP.O. Box 5051
Austin, TX USA 78763
- Gallaway, B M
- Epps, J A
- Publication Date: 1974-10
- Pagination: 144 p.
- TRT Terms: Construction; Design; Field tests; Flexible pavements; Formulations; Friction; Highways; Laboratory tests; Maintenance; Mix design; Moisture content; Open graded aggregates; Overlays (Pavements); Performance evaluations; Performance tests; Skid resistance; Subgrade (Pavements)
- Geographic Terms: Texas
- Subject Areas: Construction; Design; Highways; Maintenance and Preservation; Materials;
- Accession Number: 00090641
- Record Type: Publication
- Source Agency: National Technical Information Service
- Report/Paper Numbers: TTI-2-10-74-36-1F Final Rpt.
- Files: NTIS, TRIS, USDOT, STATEDOT
- Created Date: Jun 10 1975 12:00AM