DEVELOPMENT OF PERFORMANCE ORIENTED SPECIFICATIONS FOR DRUMS AND PAILS USED FOR PACKAGING OF HAZARDOUS MATERIALS FOR TRANSPORTATION
A study was carried out to develop performance requirements and tests for drums and pails used to ship hazardous materials. The current requirements and tests were obtained by studying DOT regulations and other standards and specifications on drums and pails. Reports on the hazards of shipping and the tests used in the packaging industry were also studied. Hazard classifications, performance requirements and tests, and a container rating system were developed. The rationale behind the development is presented in the report. Test plans for Qualification and Periodic testing and detailed test procedures were prepared. Tests included were Leak, Distortion, Pressure-Proof, Repetitive Shock (Vibration), Wet Strength-Stacking, Drop, and Puncture Tests and a Temperature Cycle.
Naval Surface Weapons CenterWhite Oak Laboratory
Silver Spring, MD United States 20910
Department of TransportationOffice of Hazardous Materials, 1200 New Jersey Avenue, SE
Washington, DC United States 20590
- Fridinger, C E
- Vickers, CVJ
- Gott, J S
- Publication Date: 1974-12-2
- Pagination: 105 p.
- TRT Terms: Containers; Drums (Containers); Equipment; Equipment tests; Hazardous materials; Impact tests; Leakage; Performance tests; Safety; Specifications; Transportation
- Old TRIS Terms: Buckets; Environmental tests; Equipment specifications; Test equipment
- Subject Areas: Safety and Human Factors; Transportation (General);
- Accession Number: 00090555
- Record Type: Publication
- Source Agency: National Technical Information Service
- Report/Paper Numbers: Final Rpt.
- Contract Numbers: DOT-AS-20065
- Files: NTIS, TRIS, USDOT
- Created Date: May 29 1976 12:00AM