EFFECTS OF SLOW - RELEASE FERTILIZERS ON THE PERFORMANCE OF HONEYSUCKLE GROWN IN NUTRIENT DEFICIENT SOIL
Blue honeysuckle plants were grown in a nutrient deficient soil medium which was taken from several roadside sites in Omaha. Different rates of two slow-release fertilizers and 200 ppm N starter solution were applied to find out how they will affect plant performance. All plants were grown in four-gallon containers and kept alternately in the greenhouse and lathouse to simulate natural weather conditions that are essential for the active-dormant growth cycle. Generally, plants subjected to the different rates of Agriform and Osmocote fertilizers produced more leaves and longer and heavier stems than those treated with 200 ppm N or non-treated control. The 200 ppm N starter solution did not show any consistent significant additive effect to the two slow-release fertilizers. The starter solution will probably show its beneficial effects under stress conditions of the roadsides. This study was conducted under greenhouse conditions where the plants were given optimum care.
- Pub. as Nebraska State Dept. of Roads, Lincoln. Research Study-64-2-PR-109.
University of Nebraska, LincolnDepartment of Horticulture and Forestry
Lincoln, NE United States 68508
Nebraska Department of Roads1500 Highway 2, P.O. Box 94759
Lincoln, NE United States 68509
- Salac, S S
- Publication Date: 1974-11-22
- Pagination: 17 p.
- TRT Terms: Containers; Fertilizers; Measures of effectiveness; Nitrogen; Nitrogen inorganic compounds; Phosphorus inorganic compounds; Plant growth; Roads; Roadside; Survival; Test procedures; Weather
- Uncontrolled Terms: Effectiveness
- Geographic Terms: Nebraska
- Old TRIS Terms: Growing period; Nutrient content; Ornamental plants; Plasma /physics/; Potassium inorganic compounds; Tablets
- Subject Areas: Design; Environment; Geotechnology; Highways; Maintenance and Preservation;
- Accession Number: 00090538
- Record Type: Publication
- Source Agency: National Technical Information Service
- Report/Paper Numbers: Horticulture PR-109
- Files: NTIS, TRIS, STATEDOT
- Created Date: May 29 1975 12:00AM