A SURVEY OF NATIONAL GEOCODING SYSTEMS
The document describes major geocoding systems. It is organized into sections that categorize geocoding systems by type. Section 2 deals with systems that are primarily geopolitical in nature and provide general reference coding structures for administrative or other purposes. Section 3 includes those geocoding systems that reference either special significance locations or a combination of geopolitical, geostatistical and special significance locations. The geocoding systems in Section 4 include those that reference areas delineated according to special criteria, such as economic or postal distribution patterns. Finally, Section 5 discusses those systems based on grid networks.
Massachusetts Institute of TechnologyUrban Systems Laboratory, 77 Massachusetts Avenue
Cambridge, MA USA 02139
Transportation Systems Center55 Broadway, Kendall Square
Cambridge, MA USA 02142
- Werner, P A
- Publication Date: 1974-11
- Pagination: 356 p.
- TRT Terms: Census; City planning; Classification; Coding systems; Economic factors; Federal government; Geographic information systems; Geography; Grids (Transmission lines); Land; Land use; Local government; Maps; Politics; Postal service; Statistics; Urban areas
- Uncontrolled Terms: Criteria; Economic geography
- Old TRIS Terms: Coding; Land classifications; Physical geography; Urban geography
- Subject Areas: Data and Information Technology; Economics; Geotechnology; Highways; Society;
- Accession Number: 00090519
- Record Type: Publication
- Source Agency: National Technical Information Service
- Report/Paper Numbers: Final Rpt.
- Contract Numbers: DOT-TSC-692
- Files: NTIS, TRIS
- Created Date: May 29 1975 12:00AM