A SURVEY OF NATIONAL GEOCODING SYSTEMS
The document describes major geocoding systems. It is organized into sections that categorize geocoding systems by type. Section 2 deals with systems that are primarily geopolitical in nature and provide general reference coding structures for administrative or other purposes. Section 3 includes those geocoding systems that reference either special significance locations or a combination of geopolitical, geostatistical and special significance locations. The geocoding systems in Section 4 include those that reference areas delineated according to special criteria, such as economic or postal distribution patterns. Finally, Section 5 discusses those systems based on grid networks.
Massachusetts Institute of TechnologyUrban Systems Laboratory, 77 Massachusetts Avenue
Cambridge, MA United States 02139
Transportation Systems Center55 Broadway, Kendall Square
Cambridge, MA United States 02142
- Werner, P A
- Publication Date: 1974-11
- Pagination: 356 p.
- TRT Terms: Census; City planning; Classification; Coding systems; Economic factors; Federal government; Geographic information systems; Geography; Grids (Transmission lines); Land; Land use; Local government; Maps; Politics; Postal service; Statistics; Urban areas
- Uncontrolled Terms: Criteria; Economic geography
- Old TRIS Terms: Coding; Land classifications; Physical geography; Urban geography
- Subject Areas: Data and Information Technology; Economics; Geotechnology; Highways; Society;
- Accession Number: 00090519
- Record Type: Publication
- Source Agency: National Technical Information Service
- Report/Paper Numbers: Final Rpt.
- Contract Numbers: DOT-TSC-692
- Files: NTIS, TRIS
- Created Date: May 29 1975 12:00AM