THE SHIRLEY HIGHWAY EXPRESS-BUS-ON-FREEWAY DEMONSTRATION PROJECT/A STUDY OF REVERSE COMMUTE SERVICE
Bus-on-freeway operations generally provide peak period commuter transit service to persons traveling from suburban residences through congested corridors to jobs in the major employment centers of metropolitan areas. In a few cases, peak period reverse commute operations may provide service to persons traveling from residences near the downtown employment centers to jobs in the suburbs. In early 1973, two major Shirley Highway Express-Bus-on-Freeway Demonstration Project reverse commute routes began service to office buildings in Northern Virginia. An analysis of this reverse commute service revealed that it was a successful operation because it provided considerable benefits to its patrons and was slightly profitable to the bus operator on an incremental cost basis.
- Find a library where document is available. Order URL: http://worldcat.org/isbn/NBSIR74624
- See also report dated Jun 73, COM-73-11453, and report dated May 73, PB-222 675.
National Bureau of StandardsTechnical Analysis Division
Washington, DC USA 20234
Urban Mass Transportation Administration400 7th Street, SW
Washington, DC USA 20590
- Waksman, R
- Publication Date: 1974-12
- Pagination: 40 p.
- TRT Terms: Bus lines; Bus transportation; Commuting; Costs; Freeways; Peak hour traffic; Peak periods; Public transit; Reverse commuting; Routes; Transit buses; Transportation; Transportation operations; Transportation planning; Travel demand; Travel patterns; Urban transportation
- Uncontrolled Terms: Transportation management; Transportation routes
- Geographic Terms: Washington (District of Columbia)
- Subject Areas: Operations and Traffic Management; Planning and Forecasting; Transportation (General);
- Accession Number: 00090512
- Record Type: Publication
- Source Agency: National Technical Information Service
- ISBN: NBSIR-74-624
- Report/Paper Numbers: NBSIR-74-624 Intrm Rpt., UMTA-IT-060024-74-1
- Contract Numbers: DOT-AT-40018
- Files: NTIS, TRIS, USDOT
- Created Date: May 29 1981 12:00AM