RISK ANALYSIS IN HAZARDOUS MATERIALS TRANSPORTATION: A MECHANISM FOR INTERFACING THE RISK ANALYSIS MODEL WITH THE HAZARDOUS MATERIALS INCIDENT REPORTING SYSTEMS
An experimental integrated risk analysis system has been developed for the U.S. Department of Transportation, Office of Hazardous Materials. This system automates the efficient combination of (1) an historical data base, provided primarily by the Hazardous Materials Incident Reporting System, of reports of incidents occurring in the transportation of hazardous materials, with (2) a risk analysis model that employs the data from these reports to generate statistical predictions of expected losses due to possible accidents with shipment of any particular material in a particular mode and container(s). The predictions can then be used in comparative risk evaluations that can support regulatory decision making. The present report describes the risk analysis system in detail, discusses its advantages and present shortcomings, due principally to limitations of its existing data base, and provides recommendations for improvements through future system modifications.
University of Southern California, Los AngelesInstitute of Safety and Systems Management, University Park
Los Angeles, CA United States 90007
Department of TransportationOffice of Hazardous Materials Operations, 1200 New Jersey Avenue, SE
Washington, DC United States 20590
- Philipson, L L
- Publication Date: 1974-9-16
- Pagination: 145 p.
- TRT Terms: Alternatives analysis; Computer programs; Containers; Cost estimating; Crashes; Data analysis; Databases; Estimates; Explosions; Fires; Ground transportation; Hazard analysis; Hazardous materials; Hazards; Information systems; Intermodal transportation; Mathematical analysis; Mathematical models; Packaging; Reports; Research; Risk analysis; Risk assessment; Safety; Safety and security; Transportation safety; Uncertainty
- Uncontrolled Terms: Models; Reporting
- Old TRIS Terms: Safety research
- Subject Areas: Freight Transportation; Railroads; Research; Safety and Human Factors;
- Accession Number: 00090462
- Record Type: Publication
- Source Agency: Transportation Statistical Reference File, TSC
- Report/Paper Numbers: RAPO-74-604 Final Rpt.
- Contract Numbers: DOT-OS-20114
- Files: TSR, TRIS, USDOT
- Created Date: May 29 1975 12:00AM