DEVELOPMENT OF PROCEDURES FOR CHARACTERIZATION OF UNTREATED GRANULAR BASE COURSE AND ASPHALT-TREATED BASE COURSE MATERIALS
The report describes a study on the characterization of untreated granular base course and asphalt-treated base course materials. The applicability of elastic and linear viscoelastic characterization have been evaluated. A review of previous information and an experimental program which consisted of dynamic and creep triaxial tests at a variety of temperatures and stress states was conducted and the results analyzed. A sensitivity study using a linear elastic model, together with a fatigue mode of failure, was conducted to evaluate the significance of material characterization relative to other factors as they influence pavement performance.
- Sponsored by DOT and FHWA.
Materials Research and Development, Incorporated2730 Adeline Street
Oakland, CA USA 94607
Washington, DC USA 20590
- Smith, W S
- Nair, K
- Publication Date: 1973-10
- Pagination: 221 p.
- TRT Terms: Base course (Pavements); Deformation curve; Design; Dynamic tests; Elasticity (Mechanics); Fatigue (Mechanics); Flexible pavements; Highways; Stresses; Subgrade (Pavements); Tests; Triaxial shear tests; Viscoelasticity
- Old TRIS Terms: Road beds
- Subject Areas: Design; Geotechnology; Highways; Materials;
- Accession Number: 00090452
- Record Type: Publication
- Source Agency: National Technical Information Service
- Report/Paper Numbers: FHWA-RD-74- 61 Final Rpt.
- Contract Numbers: DOT-FHWA-7785
- Files: NTIS, TRIS, USDOT
- Created Date: May 29 1975 12:00AM