378' WHEC EXPANSION JOINT INSTALLATION AND PERFORMANCE EVALUATION
This report presents the results of the installation and performance evaluation of a new expansion joint installed in the USCGC CHASE (WHEC-718) during the YARD availability of January 1973. Included is some design history and observations during the installation of the expansion joint. Data on performance evaluation were obtained on various portions of Atlantic Ocean station patrols during December 1973, January and February 1974. The data included strain readings to determine stress concentrations at the hinge of the expansion joint, the transverse structure directly under the expansion joint and the remaining length of aluminum superstructure at Frame 184. Strain readings were also taken on the new shear plates or side curtains installed between the main deck and 01 deck near the after end of the main deckhouse, which structure was installed concurrently with the expansion joint for the purpose of alleviating the longitudinal shear stresses presently imposed on the main deckhouse side.
United States Coast GuardResearch and Development Center, 1082 Shennecossett Road
Groton, CT USA 06340-6096
United States Coast Guard2100 Second Street, SW
Washington, DC USA 20593
- Baez, L M
- Hamilton, F M
- Publication Date: 1974-7
- Pagination: 30 p.
- TRT Terms: Bridges (Ships); Cracking; Cutting tools; Deformation curve; Expansion joints; Government vessels; Ship structural components; Shipbuilding; Stresses; Superstructures
- Identifier Terms: United States Coast Guard; United States Coast Guard ships
- Uncontrolled Terms: Stress concentration
- Old TRIS Terms: Cutters
- Subject Areas: Construction; Marine Transportation;
- Accession Number: 00090434
- Record Type: Publication
- Source Agency: National Technical Information Service
- Report/Paper Numbers: CGR/DC-35/74 Final Rpt.
- Files: NTIS
- Created Date: May 29 1975 12:00AM