HUMAN FACTORS EXPERIMENTS FOR DATA LINK
One and two-man crews of general aviation pilots and two-man crews of FAA/NAFEC test pilots made a series of simulated flights in a GAT-2 simulator to evaluate various complements of I/O equipment for Data Link. In the earlier experiments in this series, uplink messages have been limited to short ATC commands and advisories, and downlink capabilities limited to simple 'Wilco' or 'Unable' responses. In the present experiment, complete uplink capability was provided, including ATIS, clearances and weather reports, and downlink capability was extended to permit generation of requests for a variety of information. Seven different combinations of devices were evaluated, the devices including a 16-character display for Short Message ATC (SMATC), a printer for longer ATC messages, a Voice Synthesizer (Vosyn), and two different Control and Downlink Units (CDU) varying in complexity and in capability for the repertoire of downlink messages which could be generated.
- See also report no. 4, dated Apr 74, AD-779 084.
Transportation Systems Center55 Broadway, Kendall Square
Cambridge, MA USA 02142
- Hilborn, E H
- Wisleder, R W
- Publication Date: 1975-2
- Pagination: 168 p.
- TRT Terms: Air traffic control; Coding systems; Data communications; Digital computers; Human factors engineering; Information display systems
- Uncontrolled Terms: Data links
- Old TRIS Terms: Coding; Digital systems; Vocoders
- Subject Areas: Operations and Traffic Management; Safety and Human Factors;
- Accession Number: 00090428
- Record Type: Publication
- Source Agency: National Technical Information Service
- Report/Paper Numbers: TSC-FAA-74-26 Intrm Rpt
- Files: NTIS, USDOT
- Created Date: May 29 1975 12:00AM