MARITIME CASUALTY TABULATION (1972)
The report creates a data base of the maritime casualties during 1972 which would have been candidates for a distress channel in a satellite communications service. There are 1546 casualties recorded in this report for the calendar year 1972; of these casualties 796 were large ocean crossing vessels. The ocean crossing casualty list includes 54 vessels sunk, 158 collisions, 289 emergencies, 118 run aground and 177 suffering weather damage. These 796 vessels represent 13% of the total casualties, 500 gross ton or over, occurring during this time period. This percentage could use a satellite communication service for distress alerting and search and rescue. The remaining 87% of the casualties happened close to shore, in harbors, on lakes, canals or rivers and would use conventional communication service.
Transportation Systems Center55 Broadway, Kendall Square
Cambridge, MA United States 02142
Department of TransportationOffice of Systems Development and Technology, 1200 New Jersey Avenue, SE
Washington, DC United States 20590
- MacKenzie, F D
- Publication Date: 1975-1
- Pagination: 52 p.
- TRT Terms: Casualties; Communications satellites; Crashes; Distress alerting systems; Distress signals; Groundings (Maritime crashes); Radio relay systems; Safety and security; Search and rescue operations; Statistics; Tables (Data); Transportation safety; Water; Water transportation
- Old TRIS Terms: Casualty data; Collision statistics
- Subject Areas: Data and Information Technology; Marine Transportation; Safety and Human Factors;
- Accession Number: 00090405
- Record Type: Publication
- Source Agency: Transportation Statistical Reference File, TSC
- Report/Paper Numbers: DOT-TSC-OST-74-730 Final Rpt.
- Files: NTIS, TSR, TRIS, USDOT
- Created Date: May 29 1975 12:00AM