STATISTICS ON BRIDGE-TO-BRIDGE FREQUENCY USAGE AT SELECTED SITES IN THE FIFTH COAST GUARD DISTRICT
Equipment was assembled and tested to record the time of occurence and the duration of transmissions on the Vessel Bridge-to-Bridge radio frequency, VHF-FM Channel 13. The input to this equipment was provided by magnetic tape recordings previously obtained at each site over a twenty-four hour period. Message length histograms indicated that about 50% of all transmissions were of less than 3 seconds in duration and that about 95% of all transmissions were of less than 10 seconds in duration. The sites for which data was obtained include Cape Henry, Sewells Point and Portsmouth, VA, the Chesapeake Bay Bridge-Tunnel, Point Lookout, Sandy Point, Fort Smallwood and Fort McHenry, MD, and Southport, N.C.
Coast GuardOffice of Research and Development
Washington, DC USA
United States Coast GuardOffice of Research and Development, 400 7th Street, NW
Washington, DC USA 20590
- McIntosh, J A
- Brown, L B
- Publication Date: 1975-1
- Pagination: 39 p.
- TRT Terms: Communication systems; Communications traffic; Frequency modulation; Radio; Ships; Statistical analysis; Very high frequency
- Subject Areas: Data and Information Technology; Marine Transportation; Vehicles and Equipment;
- Accession Number: 00090383
- Record Type: Publication
- Source Agency: National Technical Information Service
- Report/Paper Numbers: CGR/DC-1/75 Final Rpt.
- Files: NTIS
- Created Date: May 29 1975 12:00AM