A STOL AIRWORTHINESS INVESTIGATION USING A SIMULATION OF AN AUGMENTOR WING TRANSPORT. VOLUME II. SIMULATION DATA AND ANALYSIS
A simulator study of STOL airworthiness criteria was conducted using a model of an augmentor wing transport. This study covered the approach, flare and landing, go-around, and takeoff phases of flight. The two volumes of this report document the results of that investigation. Volume One (AD/A-005 878) summarizes the results and discusses possible implications with regard to airworthiness criteria. The results provide a data base for future STOL airworthiness requirements and a preliminary indication of potential problem areas. The results are also compared to the results from an earlier simulation of the Breguet 941S. Where possible, airworthiness criteria are proposed for consideration. Volume Two (NASA TM X-62,396; FAA-RD-74-179-II) contains a detailed description of the simulation and the data obtained. These data include performance measures, pilot commentary, and pilot ratings. This volume also contains a pilot/vehicle analysis of glide slope tracking and of the flare maneuver.
- Prepared in cooperation with National Aeronautics and Space Administration, Moffett Field, Calif. Ames Research Center. Rept. no. A5798. See also AD/A-005 878.
Systems Technology, Incorporated13766 South Hawthorne Boulevard
Hawthorne, CA United States 90250
Federal Aviation Administration800 Independence Avenue, SW
Washington, DC United States 20591
National Aeronautics and Space AdministrationAmes Research Center
Moffett Field, CA United States 94035
- Heffley, R K
- Stapleford, R L
- Rumold, R C
- Lehman, J M
- Scott, B C
- Publication Date: 1974-10
- Pagination: 219 p.
- Issue Number: V2
- TRT Terms: Aircraft pilotage; Approach; Flight simulators; Glide path systems; Landing; STOL aircraft; Takeoff
- Uncontrolled Terms: Flight simulation
- Old TRIS Terms: Aircraft landing; Flight maneuvers; Short takeoff aircraft
- Subject Areas: Aviation; Safety and Human Factors; Vehicles and Equipment;
- Accession Number: 00090377
- Record Type: Publication
- Source Agency: National Technical Information Service
- Report/Paper Numbers: STI-TR-1047 Final Rpt.
- Contract Numbers: NAS2-7926
- Files: NTIS, USDOT
- Created Date: May 29 1975 12:00AM