THE INFLUENCE OF TIRE PROPERTIES ON PASSENGER VEHICLE HANDLING. VOLUME II. TECHNICAL REPORT
The overall objectives of this research program to identify the properties of tires that affect vehicle dynamic response and to evaluate the degree to which the various tire parameters enter into this response. The main elements of this research study involved: (1) a laboratory tire test program to measure the performance parameters of interest (braking and lateral force coefficients, aligning and overturning moments, etc.) on selected tires with specified construction properties, (2) a vehicle test program in which the effects of tires with different properties and parameters were measured on four cars using nine wet and dry test maneuvers, and (3) a fundamental vehicle simulation study designed to determine the effect of individual tire parameters on various vehicle performance metrics.
- See also Volume 3, PB-239 217.
Calspan Corporation4455 Genesee Street
Buffalo, NY United States 14225
Washington, DC United States 20590
- Roland, R D
- RICE, R S
- Dell'Amico, F
- Publication Date: 1975-1
- Pagination: 176 p.
- TRT Terms: Alignment; Braking; Dynamic braking; Dynamic loads; Handling characteristics; Laboratory tests; Mechanical tests; Moments (Mechanics); Performance evaluations; Safety engineering; Simulation; Test facilities; Tires; Vehicle dynamics; Vehicle performance; Vehicle tests
- Uncontrolled Terms: Dynamic response; Handling; Lateral pressure
- Old TRIS Terms: Dynamic structural properties; Moments
- Subject Areas: Geotechnology; Highways; Materials; Safety and Human Factors; Vehicles and Equipment;
- Accession Number: 00090345
- Record Type: Publication
- Source Agency: National Technical Information Service
- Report/Paper Numbers: Calspan-ZM-5350-K-2 Final Rpt.
- Contract Numbers: DOT-HS-053-3-727
- Files: NTIS, TRIS, USDOT
- Created Date: Apr 22 1975 12:00AM