SCOUR AT BRIDGE WATERWAYS. A REVIEW
Three areas were briefly investigated: (1) analysis of various formulations for scour around bridge piers, (2) ongoing Federal Highway Administration field studies of scour around bridge piers, and (3) recommendations for future research. Practically all of the presently available scour formulas can be reduced to a common set of dimensionless parameters. When compared the formulas differ widely in form and magnitude. There is a serious lack of data to cover a wider range of parameters in order to discover trends. It was recommended that these gaps be filled by research and that other areas relative to bridge openings be examined in order to clarify the areas in which more study, both laboratory and field, is needed.
- Prepared in cooperation with Federal Highway Administration, Washington, D.C.
University of Minnesota, MinneapolisMinneapolis, MN USA 55455
Washington, DC USA 20590
- Anderson, A G
- Publication Date: 1974-11
- Pagination: 33 p.
- TRT Terms: Bridge abutments; Bridge piers; Channel flow; Erosion; Scour
- Subject Areas: Geotechnology;
- Accession Number: 00090170
- Record Type: Publication
- Source Agency: National Technical Information Service
- Report/Paper Numbers: FHWA/RD-75/89
- Files: NTIS, USDOT
- Created Date: Apr 22 1987 12:00AM