SURVEY STUDY TO SELECT A LIMITED NUMBER OF HAZARDOUS MATERIALS TO DEFINE AMELIORATION REQUIREMENTS. VOLUME I
This study is directed toward the foundation of a planned research and development program which, when initiated on a priority basis, would result in a significantly improved capability to ameliorate spills of hazardous chemicals. Once available, the amelioration equipment would provide the U.S. Coast Guard On-Scene Coordinator with an inventory of response equipment and systems that would permit effective countermeasure action against accidental discharges of hazardous chemicals into waterbodies. The work entailed the categorization of hazardous chemicals according to physical and chemical characteristics that were perceived to be amenable and important to the development of amelioration techniques. A total of 400 hazardous chemicals deemed to encompass most of the more critical chemicals in terms of quantity shipped and the severity of the hazards presented were associated with each of approximately 30 amelioration categories. A representative chemical was then selected for each category with the intent that it would provide the basis for searching for, evaluating, and developing amelioration methods from each category. The representative chemicals were chosen by assessing the chemical and physical behavior of the chemicals, their risk indices, and other practical considerations.
- See also Volume 2, AD/A-004 312.
Little (Arthur D), IncorporatedAcorn Park
Cambridge, MA United States 02140
United States Coast GuardOffice of Research and Development, 400 7th Street, NW
Washington, DC United States 20590
- LYMAN, W
- Nelson, L
- Partridge, L
- Kalelkar, A
- Everett, J
- Publication Date: 1974-3
- Pagination: 194 p.
- TRT Terms: Alcohols; Booms (Lifting equipment); Chemicals; Chlorine compounds; Classification; Crashes; Floating structures; Foams; Hazards; Hydrocarbons; Organic compounds; Risk assessment; Separators; Sewage treatment; Vapors; Water pollution; Water transportation
- Uncontrolled Terms: Water treatment
- Old TRIS Terms: Booms equipment; Floats
- Subject Areas: Bridges and other structures; Marine Transportation; Safety and Human Factors;
- Accession Number: 00090155
- Record Type: Publication
- Source Agency: National Technical Information Service
- Report/Paper Numbers: Final Rpt.
- Contract Numbers: DOT-CG-24655-A
- Files: NTIS
- Created Date: Apr 22 1975 12:00AM