URBAN TRANSPORTATION ALTERNATIVES. A MACRO ANALYSIS
The objective of the study was to evaluate the relative performance and effectiveness of seven transportation systems deployed on a regional basis: Highway (with limited bus), Comprehensive Bus, Exclusive Bus, Rapid Rail, Dial-A-Ride, Dual Mode, and PRT. The systems were analyzed in a hypothetical scenario reflecting the projected 1990 characteristics of the 30 largest U.S. urban areas (excluding the three biggest) as regards transit ridership, application for which it appears to be most suited, and urban transportation needs.
Transportation Systems Center55 Broadway, Kendall Square
Cambridge, MA USA 02142
- Benjamin, P
- BARBER, J
- HEATON, C
- Paules, G
- WARD, D
- Publication Date: 1974-12
- Pagination: 142 p.
- TRT Terms: Bus transportation; Buses; Dual mode transportation systems; Forecasting; Freeways; Highway transportation; Measures of effectiveness; Methodology; Mode choice; Paratransit services; Personal rapid transit; Rapid transit; Surveys; Transit riders; Transportation; Travel demand; Urban areas; Urban transportation
- Uncontrolled Terms: Effectiveness; Passenger demand
- Old TRIS Terms: Modal selection; Rapid transit railways
- Subject Areas: Administration and Management; Operations and Traffic Management; Planning and Forecasting; Transportation (General);
- Accession Number: 00090125
- Record Type: Publication
- Source Agency: National Technical Information Service
- Report/Paper Numbers: DOT-TSC-OST-74-10 Final Rpt.
- Files: NTIS, TRIS
- Created Date: Apr 22 1981 12:00AM