DEVELOPMENT OF A HIGH SEAS OIL RECOVERY SYSTEM. PHASE II. PROTOTYPE DESIGN, FABRICATION, AND TESTING. APPENDIX III. SYSTEMS TESTS. VOLUME I
The Phase-II report covers design, construction, and test of a prototype 2000 gpm oil recovery system for the high seas. The prototype system consists of a weir/basin assembly, transfer and control system, and auxiliary equipment which includes a handling system, packaging system, and a flotsam fence. The transfer system has four hydraulic-motor-driven gear pumps, a 300-ft. hydraulic umbilical, and oil-water interface sensor array, and a remote-control system. The report describes subsystems tests, component assembly, air transport capability, and a complete oil-recovery test in a pool at Battelle Northwest, Richland, WA. Pool tests utilized light and heavy fuel oils in calm water and 2 foot waves, with tow speeds to 2.76 knots.
- See also AD-759522; Volume 2, Systems Tests, AD/A-003934/7, $5.75; Volume 3, Materials and Component Tests, AD/A-003946/1, $7.25; Volume 4, Systems Tests, AD/A-003947/9, $8.75.
Ocean Systems, Incorporated11440 Isaac Newton Industrial Square North
Reston, VA USA 22070
United States Coast GuardOffice of Research and Development, 400 7th Street, NW
Washington, DC USA 20590
- Beach, R L
- March, F A
- Brown, L S
- Mc Mahon, T S
- Papp, J
- Publication Date: 1973-6
- Pagination: 100 p.
- TRT Terms: Construction; Control systems; Economic efficiency; Hydraulic structures; Intermodal transfer; Liquid cargo handling; Mechanical analysis; Oil spill cleanup; Oil spills; Performance; Petroleum; Test procedures; Water quality management
- Uncontrolled Terms: Efficiency; Hydraulic models; Model tests; Oil separators; Recovery
- Old TRIS Terms: Oil recovery systems; Oil transfer equipment; Oil transfer systems; Performance engineering
- Subject Areas: Construction; Economics; Environment; Freight Transportation; Geotechnology; Marine Transportation;
- Accession Number: 00090095
- Record Type: Publication
- Source Agency: National Technical Information Service
- Report/Paper Numbers: Final Rpt.
- Contract Numbers: DOT-CG-22651-A
- Files: NTIS, TRIS
- Created Date: Apr 22 1975 12:00AM