SHIPBOARD OIL-IN-WATER CONTENT MONITOR BASED ON SMALL ANGLE FORWARD LIGHT SCATTERING
A real time Shipboard Oil-In-Water Content Monitor using direct in situ measurements and electro-optical processing has been proven feasible. The concept uses spatial filtering of small angle forward scattering laser light allowing discrimination of oil particles only. The breadboard model used in this study has indicated that accuracies in the 0 to 100 ppm oil range on the order of plus or minus 10% or better can be expected for many oil types ranging from unrefined crudes to refined lubricating oils and hydraulic oil as well as mixtures of these oils. The interference of gas bubbles and solid particulates is eliminated for the most part by optically spatial filtering the diffraction pattern and centrifuging the sample stream. A test program involving studies of oil types, oil mixtures, oil concentrations, salinity, solids, air, mixtures of air and solids, and effects of detergent is described in this report along with graphical and tabular presentations of all data. Major problem areas disclosed by this study are described in detail and involve mostly sampling and sample handling techniques rather than detector-performance characteristics. Conclusions and recommendations are also included, indicating areas for continued study and development.
General ElectricMarine Turbine & Gear Engineer, 1100 Western Ave
Lynn, MA USA 01910
Federal Aviation Administration800 Independence Avenue, SW
Washington, DC USA 20591
- Batutis, E
- Boericke, R
- Sadjian, H
- Publication Date: 1974-8
- Pagination: 123 p.
- TRT Terms: Detectors; Electrooptic materials; Laser beams; Measuring instruments; Monitoring; Oil filters; Oil spill cleanup; Oils; Optical instruments; Optical scanners; Ships; Water quality management
- Uncontrolled Terms: Hydrocyclones; Monitors
- Old TRIS Terms: Electrooptics; Oil spill detection; Oil spill monitoring
- Subject Areas: Environment; Marine Transportation; Vehicles and Equipment;
- Accession Number: 00090094
- Record Type: Publication
- Source Agency: National Technical Information Service
- Report/Paper Numbers: Final Rpt.
- Contract Numbers: DOT-CG-32370-A
- Files: NTIS, TRIS, USDOT
- Created Date: Apr 22 1975 12:00AM