A CENSUS OF MARINE TRAFFIC IN THE CHESAPEAKE BAY DERIVED FROM SIDE-LOOKING AIRBORNE RADAR DATA
A side-looking airborne radar was used to map selected portions of Chesapeake Bay during the period 4-9 September 1974, for the purpose of sampling the number of vessels underway at any one time as functions of the time of day and of the sector of the Bay. In the Norfolk/Portsmouth/Newport News area, a maximum of 35 vessels were observed to be underway at one time. This occurred at 2100 on Thursday, 5 September.
United States Coast GuardResearch and Development Center, 1082 Shennecossett Road
Groton, CT USA 06340-6096
- McIntosh, J A
- Farmer, L D
- Publication Date: 1974-10
- Pagination: 19 p.
- TRT Terms: Bays; Census; Harbors; Safety; Side looking radar; Surveillance; Water traffic; Water transportation
- Identifier Terms: United States Coast Guard
- Geographic Terms: Virginia
- Subject Areas: Data and Information Technology; Marine Transportation; Safety and Human Factors; Terminals and Facilities;
- Accession Number: 00090087
- Record Type: Publication
- Source Agency: National Technical Information Service
- Report/Paper Numbers: CGR/DC-32-74 Final Rpt.
- Files: NTIS
- Created Date: Apr 22 1975 12:00AM