PRESTRESSED CONCRETE PAVEMENTS. VOLUME II. DESIGN AND CONSTRUCTION PROCEDURES FOR CIVIL AIRPORTS
The volume of this report recommends practices and procedures for design and construction of prestressed concrete pavements for civil airports. For the design procedure, the basic load-stress relationships were developed from small-scale model tests employing static loadings. Stresses computed from Westergaard's theory for elastic behavior were adjusted by moment correction factors to reflect the redistribution of moments resulting from partial hinges that develop under the load. Effects of repetitive moving loads were examined both in small-scale models and in full-scale prototype test pavements. The design procedure permits interrelating magnitude of loading, load repetitions, flexural strength, subgrade conditions, pavement thicknesses, slab dimensions, and magnitude of prestress. Consideration also is given to the effects of elastic shortening, creep, and shrinkage of concrete, relaxation in steel tendons, anchorage systems, tendon friction, subgrade restraint, and temperature changes. Construction procedures and alternatives are examined based on a study of prototype test pavements and operational prestressed facilities constructed in the US and abroad.
- See also Volume 1, AD/A-000 456.
U.S. Army Waterways Experiment Station3909 Halls Ferry Road
Vicksburg, MS United States 39180-6199
Washington, DC United States
- Odom, E C
- Carlton, P F
- Publication Date: 1974-11
- Pagination: 77 p.
- TRT Terms: Airports; Construction; Construction management; Creep; Expansion joints; Flexural strength; Friction; Loads; Mathematical models; Pavement design; Pavements; Prestressed concrete; Shrinkage; Standards; Static loads; Stresses; Tendons; Testing; Thickness
- Uncontrolled Terms: Model tests; Models
- Old TRIS Terms: Static loading
- Subject Areas: Aviation; Construction; Highways; Pavements; Terminals and Facilities;
- Accession Number: 00090075
- Record Type: Publication
- Source Agency: National Technical Information Service
- Report/Paper Numbers: Final Rpt.
- Contract Numbers: DOT-FA71WAI-218
- Files: NTIS, TRIS, USDOT
- Created Date: Apr 22 1975 12:00AM