ROTARY COMBUSTION ENGINE TROCHOID COATINGS AND SEALS
This paper presents a review of Curtiss-Wright's efforts to identify or develop sucessful apex seal/trochoid sealing systems for the rotary engine. Included are descriptions of the various wear test rigs utilized to evaluate apex seal/trochoid coating combinations. Laboratory seal-coating screening procedures are detailed along with engine test results. Seal-coating design considerations including factors affecting seal loading and wear are described. Data are presented on a newly developed plasma spray coating containing titanium carbide.
New York, NY USA 10017
- Lamping, H D
- Galliers, M W
- Wolosin, S M
- Publication Date: 1974-10
- Pagination: 19 p.
- TRT Terms: Automotive engineering; Coatings; Design; Durability tests; Energy; Rotary engines; Screenings; Seal coats; Sprays (Materials); Wear
- Uncontrolled Terms: Design criteria
- Subject Areas: Design; Energy; Highways; Safety and Human Factors;
- Accession Number: 00084978
- Record Type: Publication
- Report/Paper Numbers: SAE Paper #741043
- Files: TRIS
- Created Date: May 1 1975 12:00AM