TERMITE CONTROL INVESTIGATION. INSPECTION OF SPECIMENS AFTER 124 MONTHS EXPOSURE
This is a report of progress in the 15-year investigation to determine the most effective preservative with minimum retention to be used in treating either oak, pine or fir species to reduce decay and termite attack. The results of the investigation after 124 months exposure of the specimens are: 1) Specimens treated with Coal Tar Creosote show less decay and termite attack than specimens treated with other preservatives. 2) Chromated Zinc Chloride and Tanalith are affording less protection against decay and termite attack than the other preservatives. 3) In general, the fir specimens treated with most of the preservatives, are subject to less decay and termite attack than the oak and pine specimens, however, oak is generally more resistant to decay and termite attack than pine or fir when not treated. 4) The average index rating increases with the amount of preservative in the specimens. 5) In general, specimens treated with Coal Tar Creosote afford more protection against decay and termite attack than those treated with combinations of creosote with coal tar or petroleum. From the data secured during the inspection of treated specimens of oak, fir and pine species after 124 months exposure, it seems logical to conclude that coal tar creosote is affording more resistance to decay and termite attack, in general, than the other preservatives.
- See also RRIS #072587, Section 09, RRIS Bulletin 7501, and RRIS #084949 through 084955, Section 01, RRIS Bulletin 7502. Conducted in collaboration with AREA Committee 3- Ties and Wood Preservation.
Chicago, IL United States 60616
- Publication Date: 1968-8
- Features: Figures; Tables;
- Pagination: 28 p.
- TRT Terms: Creosote; Deterioration; Pest control; Preservation; Railroad ties; Termites; Wood preservatives; Wood ties
- Old TRIS Terms: Creosoting; Cross tie deterioration; Cross tie preservation; Termite control; Wooden cross ties
- Subject Areas: Construction; Railroads;
- Accession Number: 00084956
- Record Type: Publication
- Source Agency: Association of American Railroads
- Report/Paper Numbers: ER-84
- Files: TRIS
- Created Date: Jun 10 1975 12:00AM