EXPERIMENTS ON RUDDERS WITH SMALL FLAPS IN FREE-STREAM AND BEHIND A PROPELLER
Water tunnel experiments were performed to determine the characteristics of rudders with small flaps both in the free stream and behind a propeller. The results include plots of lift, drag, rudder moment, and flap moment coefficient for a complete range of angles of attack and flap deflection.
Massachusetts Institute of TechnologyDepartment of Ocean Engineering, 77 Massachusetts Avenue
Cambridge, MA United States 02139
Office of Naval ResearchDepartment of the Navy, 800 North Quincy Street
Arlington, VA United States 22217
- Kerwin, J E
- Lewis, S D
- Oppenheim, B W
- Publication Date: 1974-10
- Pagination: 157 p.
- TRT Terms: Airfoils; Force; Performance; Rudders
- Uncontrolled Terms: Control surfaces
- Old TRIS Terms: Flapped rudders; Rudder forces
- Subject Areas: Design; Marine Transportation; Vehicles and Equipment;
- Accession Number: 00084832
- Record Type: Publication
- Source Agency: National Technical Information Service
- Report/Paper Numbers: OE-74-16 Final Rpt.
- Contract Numbers: N00014-67A-0204-0067
- Files: TRIS
- Created Date: May 19 1975 12:00AM