BRIDGE DECK DEICING STUDY
Meteorological and surface temperature data from the test site on I-80 for the winters of 1971-1972 and 1972-1973 is analyzed to determine the periods of preferential icing. The annual accumulative hours of preferential icing is proposed as a method of rating the potential of bridges to freeze before the roadway does. A simulation model which measures the response of the bridge and adjacent road surface temperatures to both real and hypothetical weather conditions is discussed. Methods for using this simulation model for rating bridges and for predicting periods of preferential icing before they occur are set forth. A prototype instrument for direct measurement of preferential icing periods on a bridge deck is described and the results of field tests given.
- Find a library where document is available. Order URL: http://worldcat.org/isbn/PTI7421
- This report was sponsored by the Bureau of Materials, Testing and Research, Pennsylvania Department of Transportation, Harrisburg, Pennsylvania.
Pennsylvania State University, University ParkPennsylvania Transportation Institute, Transportation Research Building
University Park, PA USA 16802
- Birnie Jr, C
- Publication Date: 1974-8
- Features: References; Tables;
- Pagination: 103 p.
- TRT Terms: Bridge decks; Deicing; Field tests; Forecasting; Freezing; Measuring instruments; Meteorological phenomena; Simulation; Surface temperature; Temperature; Weather
- Old TRIS Terms: Meteorological data
- Subject Areas: Highways; Maintenance and Preservation;
- Accession Number: 00084773
- Record Type: Publication
- ISBN: PTI 7421
- Report/Paper Numbers: Final Rpt.
- Files: TRIS
- Created Date: Jul 2 1975 12:00AM