HAMMOND RAIL RELOCATION PROPOSAL
This report, developed by the Railroad Relocation Committee and submitted to the mayor, is proposed to relieve traffic congestion in the Indiana city. The plan would relocate existing operations on a consolidated and greatly simplified track system to be used by all the railroads involved. The result would be elimination of many grade crossings and creation of no new ones. Existing lines of Penn Central would be supplemented with additional tracks to handle the trains of Chesapeake & Ohio, Louisville & Nashville, Erie Lackawanna and Norfolk & Western.
Railroad Relocation CommitteeHammond, Indiana,
- Publication Date: 1973-2-23
- Pagination: 15 p.
- TRT Terms: Abandonment; City planning; Consolidations; Lines of track; Railroad facilities; Railroad grade crossings; Relocation (Facilities); Urban areas
- Identifier Terms: Chesapeake & Ohio Railway; Erie Lackawanna Railway; Louisville & Nashville Railroad; Norfolk and Western Railway Company; Penn Central Transportation Company
- Geographic Terms: Indiana
- Old TRIS Terms: Grade crossing elimination; Line relocation; Urban railroad relocation
- Subject Areas: Design; Freight Transportation; Railroads;
- Accession Number: 00084724
- Record Type: Publication
- Files: TRIS
- Created Date: Jul 15 1976 12:00AM