MECHANICS OF CABLE MOORING SYSTEMS. VOLUME I. THREE DIMENSIONAL RESPONSE OF DEEP WATER MOORING LINES IN STEADY STATE FLOWS
This study is an attempt to systematically investigate the behavior of selected cable parameters in relation to deep water mooring applications under three dimensional, steady-state loading conditions. The emphasis of this report has been placed on quantifying the three dimensional geometry and reactions of a mooring line in a directional uniform current for specific combinations of support positions, cable length, weight and diameter. Included is a study of both negatively and neutrally buoyant cables for water depths ranging from 5,000 to 25,000 ft. The solution procedure incorporates a finite element representation of the cables and the method of imaginary reactions for the calculation of the equilibrium configurations. The accuracy of this procedure is examined for the catenary loading through a comparison of cable configurations and support reactions obtained from a direct solution of the catenary equations and from the use of the finite element representation. (Modified author abstract)
- Vol. 2 "BI and Quad Cable Arrays Systems--Summary Data Report," PC $10.00 AD-786182/6; Vol. 3 "Parametric Evaluation of BI and Quad Cable Array Systems" PC $4.25 AD-786183/4; Vol. 4 "A Computer Program for Analyzing the Steady State Response of BI and Quad Cable Arrays" PC $4.25, AD-786184/2; Vol. 5 "The Response of a Trl-Moored Cable Array with an Included Deformance Cylindrical Member," PC $4.25, AD-786185/9; Vol. 6 "A Computer Program for Analyzing the Steady State Configuration of a Tri-Moored Array with Included Rigid and Deformable Members," PC $4.25, AD-78186/7; Vol. 7 "The Steady State Behavior of a Pyramid Array System" PC $4.25, AD-786187/5; Vol. 8 "The Dynamic Response of Cable Arrays Subject to Large Current-Induced Displacements," PC $4.75, AD-786188/3.
Texas A&M University, College StationCoastal and Ocean Engineering Division
College Station, TX USA 77843
Naval Facilities Engineering CommandAlexandria, VA USA
- Dominguez, R F
- Owens, G E
- Publication Date: 1972-12
- Pagination: 243 p.
- TRT Terms: Cables; Dynamics; Mooring cables; Offshore moorings; Single point moorings
- Old TRIS Terms: Cable dynamics
- Subject Areas: Marine Transportation; Terminals and Facilities;
- Accession Number: 00084438
- Record Type: Publication
- Source Agency: National Technical Information Service
- Report/Paper Numbers: COE-157 Final Rpt.
- Contract Numbers: N62477-72-C-0055
- Files: TRIS
- Created Date: Jun 26 1975 12:00AM