THEORETICAL ESTIMATES OF WAVE LOADS ON THE SL-7 CONTAINER SHIP IN REGULAR AND IRREGULAR SEAS (SL-7-4)
The computer program SCORES for predicting ship structural response in waves is applied to the SL-7 container ship. The operating conditions considered are 2 displacements, 4 ship speeds, 21 wavelengths, 19 headings and 5 sea states assuming both long-crested and short-crested seas. These results constitute a complete data bank for the SL-7 ship in the form of both frequency responses for regular waves as well as rms and other statistical response measures for irregular seas. Comparison is made between the computer and model tests of the SL-7 in regular waves in predicting vertical, lateral and torsional moments, and vertical and lateral shears at two sections and heave, pitch and roll. Regions where the theory and model experiment do not agree have been pointed out and some means of correction or extension of the theory is discussed.
- This is a technical report on project SR-205, "Ship Computer Response".
Ship Structure CommitteeNational Academy of Science, 2101 Constitution Avenue, NW
Washington, DC USA 20418
- Kaplan, P
- Sargent, T P
- Cilmi, J
- Publication Date: 1974
- Features: References;
- Pagination: 62 p.
- TRT Terms: Loads; Moments (Mechanics); Ship motion; Structural analysis; Structural mechanics; Torsion; Water waves; Waves
- Identifier Terms: Ship Structure Committee
- Uncontrolled Terms: Structural response
- Old TRIS Terms: Irregular waves; Torsional moment; Wave loads
- Subject Areas: Hydraulics and Hydrology; Marine Transportation; Materials;
- Accession Number: 00084427
- Record Type: Publication
- Source Agency: Ship Structure Committee
- Report/Paper Numbers: SSC-246
- Contract Numbers: N00024-70-C-5076
- Files: TRIS
- Created Date: May 1 1975 12:00AM