DYNAMICS OF MOTORCYCLE IMPACT 1971-1973. VOL. 1. SUMMARY REPORT-RESULTS OF CRASH TEST PROGRAM AND COMPUTER SIMULATION
A series of fourteen motorcycle crash tests using 50% anthropometric dummy riders has been performed. The dummy rider was instrumented with either 11 or 13 accelerometers. High-speed movie cameras were used to record the crash event. A parallel effort has developed a digital computer simulation of the three dimensional post-crash motion of a nine degree-of-freedom (DOF) motorcycle and an attached rigid rider. The motorcycle rider has six rigid body and three internal degrees of freedom. The final report, entitled Dynamics of Motorcycle Impact, is presented in three volumes: Volume I, Summary Report-Results of Crash Test Program and Computer Simulation; Volume II, Motorcycle Crash Test Program; Volume III, Computer Simulation of Three-Dimensional Motion of Motorcycle. Volume II presents the results obtained from the tests and includes safety performance standards for motorcycles and their components. The crash test program investigated nin motorcycle accident situations: (1) skid tests with one and two riders on the motorcycle; (2) 45 degrees frontal impact with a static automobile; (3) 45 degrees frontal impact with a static automobile using two dummies on the motorcycle; (4) perpendicular frontal impact of a static automobile using two dummies on the motorcycle: (5) impact of a moving motorcycle hit broadside by a moving automoible; (6) perpendicular side impact of a static automobile with a motorcycle; (7) perpendicular side impact of a static automobile with a motorcycle - pre-inflated airbags fitted to the motorcycle; (8) perpendicular side impact of a static automobile with a motorcycle - actively inflated airbag fitted to motorcycle; and (9) perpendicular frontal impact of a static automobile with a motorcycle - per- inflated airbag fitted to morotcycle.
- Sponsored by the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration, Washington, D.C.
Decision Systems Associates, Incorporated5640 Wall Lane
Rockville, MD United States
Caliber Design LimitedStratford-on-Avon, England
- Bothwell, P W
- Knight, R E
- Peterson, H C
- Publication Date: 1973
- Features: Figures; Tables;
- Pagination: 52 p.
- TRT Terms: Accelerometers; Anthropometry; Crashes; Degrees of freedom; Dummies; Frontal crashes; Impact tests; Motorcycles; Motorcyclists; Postcrash phase; Simulation; Testing
- Old TRIS Terms: Post-crash
- Subject Areas: Highways; Research; Safety and Human Factors;
- Accession Number: 00084315
- Record Type: Publication
- Source Agency: National Safety Council
- Report/Paper Numbers: HS-800 906
- Contract Numbers: DOT-HS-126-1-186
- Files: TRIS
- Created Date: Apr 22 1991 12:00AM