DYNAMIC PROPERTIES OF ROCKS
The study which explored problems associated with the dynamic properties of rocks, also investigated aspects of elastic wave stress relaxation, the determination of release adiabats, and yield criteria as related to the Hugoniot elastic limit. Exploratory studies discuss the revision and extension of the Hugoniot curve for calcite and initial studied of Hugoniot curve for the clinopyroxene minerals. Hugoniot measurements on single and polycrystalline quartz in the unexplored 280- to 410-kbar range verify the 16 percent volume decrease inferred from Wakerle's data, and indicate (for isentropic expansion) that upon relief of pressure, the material has a specific volume between that of coesite and that of stishovite. Data for coconio sandstone are discussed. An optical lever shock reflection technique is developed for determination of adiabatic release paths from both final and one or more intermediate shock states. The change in optical index is discussed, as well as the application of the modified grifitti theory to the prediction of the Hugoniot elastic limit. A static compression experiment for determining the locus of 2-dimensional stress states for uniaxial strain is outlined. Initial orientation, shock and release provesses and elastic wave propagation are other aspects covered.
Congressional RecordSuperintendent of Documents
Washington, DC United States 20001
- AHRENS, T J
- Publication Date: 1964-8-15
- Features: Figures; References; Tables;
- Pagination: 51 p.
- TRT Terms: Adiabatic conditions; Calcites; Dynamics; Minerals; Optical properties; Quartz; Rocks; Sandstones; Sound; Sound; Stresses; Yield strength
- Old TRIS Terms: Hugoniot data
- Subject Areas: Geotechnology; Highways;
- Accession Number: 00083744
- Record Type: Publication
- Report/Paper Numbers: SRI #GSU-4816 Sumry Rpt.
- Contract Numbers: DA-49-146-XZ-277
- Files: TRIS
- Created Date: Apr 8 1975 12:00AM