DEVELOPMENT AND EVALUATION OF A STRUCTURAL CRASHWORTHINESS SYSTEM FOR A STANDARD SIZE AUTOMOBILE--EXECUTIVE SUMMARY
Reported herein are the results of a study performed by Calspan Corporation for the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration. The objective of the study was to develop two pre-prototype vehicles which would provide improved structural performance during front, side, rear and rollover collisions. The project was undertaken at three distinct developmental levels; development and evaluation related to subsystems, the structural system and two preprototype vehicles. Using computational and experimental facilities available at Calspan, various subsystems were extensively investigated. These included the frame, passenger compartment structure, door beams, glass and padding. Both static and dynamic component test facilities were utilized. Review of the results provided a rational basis for integration of individual components into the final system. Complete system evaluation was made with five crash tests performanced with important elements of the total system incorporated into a series of non-operational vehicles. These results constituted final checkout of the complete system. Structural modifications were then incorporated into two 1973 standard size Ford sedans which represented the pre-prototype vehicles. These vehicles were subjected to handling and crash testing. The crash tests were planned so that front, side and rear impact data were obtained. The vehicle performance generally met the requirements as stated in the contract. Excellent performance was obtained during lateral collisons, where dummy results were within accepted limits during 30 mph moving barrier collisions. The total structural modification resulted in a net weight increase slightly less than ten percent of the base vehicle (1973 Ford) curb weight.
- Find a library where document is available. Order URL: http://worldcat.org/isbn/N88Series
- Final Technical Report.
Calspan Corporation4455 Genesee Street
Buffalo, NY United States 14225
- MILLER, P M
- Greene, J E
- Publication Date: 1975-1
- Features: Figures; Photos; Tables;
- Pagination: 30 p.
- TRT Terms: Crash tests; Crashes; Crashworthiness; Frontal crashes; Rear end crashes; Rollover crashes; Side crashes; Testing; Vehicle components; Vehicle performance
- Subject Areas: Highways; Research; Safety and Human Factors; Vehicles and Equipment;
- Accession Number: 00083736
- Record Type: Publication
- Source Agency: Highway Safety Research Institute
- ISBN: N88 Series
- Report/Paper Numbers: DOT HS-801 318
- Contract Numbers: DOT-HS-053-2-487
- Files: TRIS
- Created Date: Apr 8 1975 12:00AM