THE SYNTHESIS OF AN URBAN TRANSPORTATION SYSTEM BASED ON SOCIETAL CRITERIA
An urban transportation system is proposed to satisfy societal criteria of greater mobility, safer travel, lower energy consumption, less pollution, personalized travel, and conservation of the urban fabric. The system is synthesised, for the most part, using elements already developed through research in the areas of electric vehicle and PRT. Emphasis is given to new components developed to make the synthesis possible. The system can offer in the not too distant future an advantageous alternative to conventional automobile-roadway transport.
- Presented at the International Conference on Cybernetics and Society of the Institute of Electrical and Electronics Engineers, 5-7 November 1973, Boston, Massachusetts.
Institute of Electrical and Electronics Engineers3 Park Avenue, 17th Floor
New York, NY USA 10016-5997
- O'Shea, J
- Polis, M P
- Publication Date: 1973
- Features: Photos; References;
- Pagination: 2 p.
- TRT Terms: Electric vehicles; Energy; Fuel consumption; Mobility; Personal rapid transit; Pollution; Social values; Syntheses; Synthesis (Chemistry); Urban transportation
- Old TRIS Terms: Personal transit
- Subject Areas: Energy; Environment; Highways; Planning and Forecasting; Public Transportation; Society;
- Accession Number: 00083723
- Record Type: Publication
- Source Agency: Highway Safety Research Institute
- Files: TRIS
- Created Date: Apr 8 1981 12:00AM