THE INFLUENCE OF TIRE PROPERTIES ON PASSENGER VEHICLE HANDLING. VOLUME II - TECHNICAL REPORT
The overall objectives of this research program were (1) to identify the properties of tires that affect vehicle dynamic response and to describe those effects in quantitative terms, and (2) to evaluate the degree to which the various tire parameters affect vehicle dynamic response and to assess their relative importance. The main elements of this research study involved: (1) a laboratory tire test program to measure the performance parameters of interest (braking and lateral force coefficients, aligning and overturing moments, etc.) on selected tires with specified construction properties, (2) a vehicle test program in which the effects of tires with different properties and parameters were measured on four cars using nine wet and dry test maneuvers and (3) a fundamental vehicle simulation study designed to determine the effect of individual tire parameters on various vehicle performance metrics. This volume is the main technical report which contains a thorough discussion of the technical approach and the principal results and conclusions of the overall program.
Calspan Corporation4455 Genesee Street
Buffalo, NY USA 14225
- Roland, R D
- RICE, R S
- Dell'Amico, F
- Publication Date: 1975-1
- Features: Figures; Photos; References; Tables;
- Pagination: 178 p.
- TRT Terms: Automatic vehicle monitoring; Braking; Data analysis; Laboratory tests; Mathematical analysis; Mathematical models; Moments (Mechanics); Performance tests; Physical properties; Simulation; Tires; Torque; Vehicle dynamics
- Uncontrolled Terms: Models
- Old TRIS Terms: Moments
- Subject Areas: Highways; Safety and Human Factors; Vehicles and Equipment;
- Accession Number: 00083669
- Record Type: Publication
- Source Agency: Highway Safety Research Institute
- Report/Paper Numbers: DOT HS-801 324 Final Rpt.
- Contract Numbers: DOT-HS-053-3-727
- Files: TRIS
- Created Date: Apr 22 1975 12:00AM