IDENTIFICATION OF COUNTERMEASURES FOR THE YOUTH CRASH PROBLEM RELATED TO ALCOHOL
Face-to-face interviews were conducted with male New York State drivers. These groups, each containing young (16-24 years) and middle aged (35-49 years) drivers were sampled as follows: 1) random sample of the general population of licensed drivers (N=443); 2) drivers recently involved in an 8 p.m. to 6 a.m. injury producing motor vehicle crash (N=288); and 3) drivers recently convicted on an alcohol driving offense (N=105). The results indicated that 14% of the young drivers in the general population as compared with only 5% of the middle aged drivers reported having had an alcohol related accident within the past 3 years. Alcohol related crashes for young drivers as compared to non-alcohol related crashes tended to more often involve greater vehicle speeds prior to the crash and the use of drugs other than alcohol as well as being late night, single vehicle events. Driving after drinking was common among young people (about 3 times per month) and drinking frequency appeared consistent across young and middle aged driver populations. Young people, and especially young people involved in an alcohol related driving event, more often perceived the drinking driver as a brave, independent, popular individual. Young driver alcohol crash countermeasure and future research recommendations are made in the areas of driving restrictions, speeding statutes, public information and rehabilitation.
- Record URL:
Dunlap and Associates IncorporatedOne Parkland Drive
Darien, CT United States 06820
- Preusser, D F
- Oates Jr, J F
- Orban, M S
- Publication Date: 1975-1
- Features: Figures; References; Tables;
- Pagination: 240 p.
- TRT Terms: Adolescents; Behavior; Countermeasures; Crash causes; Crash rates; Drivers; Drunk driving; Interviewing; Teenage drivers
- Old TRIS Terms: Driver psychology
- Subject Areas: Highways; Safety and Human Factors;
- Accession Number: 00083667
- Record Type: Publication
- Source Agency: Highway Safety Research Institute
- Report/Paper Numbers: DOT HS-801 344 Final Rpt.
- Contract Numbers: DOT-HS-099-3-747
- Files: NTL, TRIS
- Created Date: Apr 22 1975 12:00AM