MARITIME ADMINISTRATION CONTRACT 1571, FINAL REPORT
The problems attendent to the application of a pressurized water reactor power plant to dry cargo or passenger-cargo ship propulsion are investigated. (Reactor technology and reactor plant design are not covered.) These problems are grouped as containment protection, radiation shielding, decontamination and waste disposal, and shipyard facilities. The work was conducted in two phases. The first, a collection of information, comprises Section 1 of this report and includes results of a search of the literature, a series of visits to companies involved in nuclear construction for naval vessels, and a series of conferences with shielding fabricators. These data were used where possible in the second phase of the report, Section 2 where the problems mentioned above were studied separately and presented as four sub-sections. Their inter-dependence is indicated where appropriate. Within the limitations of time, discussions, conclusions, and recommendations were drawn, and suggested further study mentioned.
- This document is available for review at the Department of Commerce Library, Main Commerce Building, Washington, D.C., under reference number NYSC-MA-2.
New York Shipbuilding CorporationYorktown, VA USA
- Publication Date: 1958-1-31
- Features: Appendices; Figures; References; Tables;
- Pagination: 256 p.
- TRT Terms: Contaminants; Nuclear power plants; Nuclear powered ships; Radiation shielding; Shipyards; Spent reactor fuels; Surveys; Waste disposal
- Uncontrolled Terms: Decontamination
- Old TRIS Terms: Shipyard survey
- Subject Areas: Marine Transportation; Safety and Human Factors; Vehicles and Equipment;
- Accession Number: 00026100
- Record Type: Publication
- Source Agency: Maritime Administration
- Report/Paper Numbers: NYSC-MA-2 Final Rpt
- Contract Numbers: MA-1571
- Files: TRIS, USDOT
- Created Date: Feb 14 1973 12:00AM