ATTITUDES AND ATTITUDE CHANGE TOWARD BUS TRANSIT SYSTEMS
The purpose of this report, according to the author, is to show that attitude measurement can provide meaningful information and that it should be a basic part of periodic evaluations of bus transit systems. The data for this study were 2 attitude surveys conducted for the Greater Lafayette (Indiana). Transportation Corporation: one before major system changes and one after system changes were completed. It was hypothesized that: (1) attitudes of the bus riding public would be significantly more favorable after changes in the bus system were made as compared to before changes were made; and (2) differences in attitudes would be related specifically to those parts of the system that had been changed. 566 bus riders took part in the first survey in Mar. '73 and 704 riders took part in the second survey in Oct. '73. The questionnaires were presented to the bus riders by the drivers during the afternoon of the survey days. It was found that attitudes did change significantly in a favorable direction between the first and second surveys. The data show significant change even when the demographic characteristics of the population, which had also changed, were held constant. Greater change was shown for those attributes that were directly affected by system change than for those indirectly affected by system change. The use of the questionnaire results in providing information for future planning is also discussed. Tables, a bibliography and appendices are included. /UMTA/
Purdue UniversitySchool of Aeronautics and Astronautics
West Lafayette, IN United States 47907
- Dietvorst, T F
- Publication Date: 1974-5
- Pagination: 61 p.
- TRT Terms: Attitudes; Bus transportation; Evaluation; Measurement; Public transit; Qualitative analysis; Social values; Surveys
- Old TRIS Terms: Community values
- Subject Areas: Administration and Management; Economics; Highways; Motor Carriers; Operations and Traffic Management; Public Transportation; Society;
- Accession Number: 00083588
- Record Type: Publication
- Source Agency: Urban Mass Transportation Administration
- Report/Paper Numbers: UMTA-IN-11-0001-74-1Univ. Res.
- Files: TRIS, USDOT
- Created Date: Apr 8 1981 12:00AM