A TRANSIT DEVELOPMENT PROGRAM FOR HUNTINGTON, LONG ISLAND
This report documents the work performed and the conclusions reached in the Huntington (NY) Mass Transportation Study. Two broad objectives were established: (1) to identify problems associated with transit services and the local access elements of commuter railroad service in the Town, and to identify alternative opportunities for service improvement; and (2) to develop policy and program directions that would help the town better cope with the weakness of near total reliance on the auto. In the first phase of the study, existing transit services, population, employment, and economic data were collected. About 20 interviews with representatives of potential transit user groups were conducted. Three surveys related to existing and potential transit use were conducted. In the second phase, existing transit services were analyzed, needs for additional transit services were defined, alternative improvements were identified and preliminarily screened, and findings were presented. In the final phase, alternative transit improvements were analyzed in detail and a Transit Development Program was developed and detailed. The program includes 4 categories of services: (1) fixed route services; (2) commuter services; (3) specialized services: and (4) a cooperative taxi program for special user groups. Appendices contain the transit rider, commuter access and potential needs surveys, potential user interviews and preliminary program proposeal. /UMTA/
- Prepared for the Town of Huntington, New York.
Voorhees (Alan M) and Associates, IncorporatedCambridge, MA USA
- Publication Date: 1974-6
- Pagination: 206 p.
- TRT Terms: Bus transportation; Commuting; Data collection; Demographics; Economic factors; Employment; Fixed routes; Interviewing; Public transit; Railroad transportation; Taxicabs; Transportation planning; Urban transportation
- Subject Areas: Economics; Highways; Motor Carriers; Planning and Forecasting; Public Transportation; Railroads; Society;
- Accession Number: 00083585
- Record Type: Publication
- Source Agency: Urban Mass Transportation Administration
- Report/Paper Numbers: UMTA-II-09-0023-74-1Final Rpt.
- Files: TRIS, USDOT
- Created Date: Apr 8 1981 12:00AM