DETERMINATION OF FEASIBLE TESTING METHODS FOR ASPHALT-AGGREGATE COLD MIX BASES
A number of tests for aggregates, liquid asphalts, and liquid asphalt/appregate mixtures have been identified for evaluating the desired properties of asphalt/aggregate cold mixes for pavement bases. Testing recommendations are made in preliminary form that will be further evaluated under actual test conditions during Phase 2 of this project. The methodology used in making the test recommendations was to first determine the significant distress modes and their relative occurrence in actual pavements with cold mix bases. Then, considering this distress, basic required material properties for cold mix bases related to these distress modes were determined. Available tests were then identified and evaluated as to their effectiveness in measuring these required properties. A set of eight rating criteria to judge the utility of the tests were derived along with rating criteria weighting factors. Through use of the test rating criteria and corresponding weighting factors, a single composite rating was determined for each test. These composite rating factors were then used along with the relative importance of each required material property to develop a preliminary recommended list of tests to be evaluated in depth during Phase 2 of this project.
- Record URL:
- Research Sponsored by Illinois DOT in cooperation with FHWA.
University of Illinois, Urbana-ChampaignEngineering Experiment Station
Urbana, IL United States 61801
- Herrin, M
- Darter, M I
- ISHAI, I
- Publication Date: 1974-3
- Pagination: 58 p.
- TRT Terms: Aggregate mixtures; Base course (Pavements); Bituminous bases; Cold mix paving mixtures; Defects; Evaluation; Liquid asphalt; Pavement distress; Pavements; Test procedures; Testing
- Subject Areas: Highways; Materials; Pavements;
- Accession Number: 00083581
- Record Type: Publication
- Source Agency: Federal Highway Administration
- Report/Paper Numbers: UILU ENG 74-2021
- Contract Numbers: IHR-505
- Files: TRIS, USDOT
- Created Date: Apr 8 1975 12:00AM