THE EFFECT OF IMPROVED SERVICE ON THE BUS TRANSIT RIDERSHIP IN THE GREATER LAFAYETTE AREA
This report was for the purpose of studying the effects of new equipment and improved routing on the type of riders and their attitudes toward the local transit system, the Greater Lafayette (Indiana) Transportation Corporation. The report analyzes the change in characteristics and attitudes of the riders, both old system riders and new riders. Two on-board surveys were conducted, one before the initiation of the new system (March 1973) and one afterwards (October 1973). The results of the data gathered showed a trend change in public transportation for the Greater Lafayette area. Daily ridership had more than doubled since the ribbon cutting ceremony and was still increasing. In areas where improvements in service had been made, rider attitudes had improved. Attitudes toward the driver were the most positive of any area. In terms of service dependability, the rider again expressed a more positive attitude. As for efficiency and convenience of the service of the service, riders indicated that the system was performing well. The type of person found on the buses was changing with increased ridership. The new rider drawn to the system were, for the most part, younger, had more education, and had a higher family income when compared to those who had been riding for more than a year. And, an increased percentage of new riders had other means of transportation. Appendices of the report include the questionnaire and results of the administration of the questionnaire.
Purdue UniversitySchool of Aeronautics and Astronautics
West Lafayette, IN USA 47907
- Merritt, J C
- Publication Date: 1973-12
- Pagination: 44 p.
- TRT Terms: Attitudes; Bus transportation; Improvements; Level of service; Public transit; Qualitative analysis; Ridership; Routing
- Uncontrolled Terms: Service
- Subject Areas: Administration and Management; Highways; Motor Carriers; Operations and Traffic Management; Public Transportation; Society;
- Accession Number: 00083347
- Record Type: Publication
- Source Agency: Urban Mass Transportation Administration
- Report/Paper Numbers: UMTA-IN-11-0001-73-3
- Files: TRIS, USDOT
- Created Date: Apr 8 1981 12:00AM