NMSR PRIMARY COOLANT ACTIVITY
Finalization of the NMSR shield design in accord with the final core design required a recalculation of the activity levels in the primary coolant. This source is, in general, the dominant factor in sizing the containment gamma shield and effects the neutron shield in limited areas. The specific volumetric gamma source strengths previously reported are significantly revised downward as justified in this report. The activity source reactions and the general formula for calculating the source strengths are reviewed. Subsequent sections deal with the key parameters, fast neutron fluxes and activation cross sections, and report the results. Comparison of the revised methods of calculation with the old is incorporated as required.
- This document is available for review at the Department of Commerce Library, Main Commerce Building, Washington, D.C., under reference number BAW-1126.
Babcock and Wilcox CompanyAtomic Energy Division
Lynchburg, VA United States 24504
- Turner, M A
- Publication Date: 1958-12
- Features: References;
- Pagination: 11 p.
- TRT Terms: Gamma rays; Nuclear reactor coolants; Radiation shielding
- Subject Areas: Marine Transportation; Vehicles and Equipment;
- Accession Number: 00026081
- Record Type: Publication
- Source Agency: Maritime Administration
- Contract Numbers: AT(30-3)-274
- Files: TRIS, USDOT
- Created Date: Feb 14 1973 12:00AM