TRACK GEOMETRY MEASUREMENTS AND DATA PROCESSING DEVELOPMENTS IN THE RAIL RESEARCH PROGRAM
This report summarizes the FRA-sponsored Rail Research Program, and outlines many of the problems presently encountered by the railroad industry in providing safe, high-speed transportation; and illustrates the vital role of cost-effective maintenance planning. This report was originally presented at the IEEE/ASME Joint Railroad Conference in St. Louis, Missouri, in April 1973. The FRA Test Cars are described, with emphasis placed on the ability of the cars to measure all parameters of track geometry at high speed. Examples are included of the various types of computer-generated reports which are designed specifically for personnel who are responsible for maintenance planning and operations. The information in this report is intended for use by a general audience who desires a comprehensive nontechnical summary of the operation and application of the FRA Test Cars, related instrumentation and data processing operations.
- This project is sponsored by the Federal Railroad Administration, Department of Transportation.
Ensco, Incorporated5400 Port Royal Road
Springfield, VA USA 22151
- From, L
- Publication Date: 1974-10
- Features: Figures;
- Pagination: 29 p.
- TRT Terms: Defects; Inspection; Maintenance management; Maintenance practices; Planning; Rail (Railroads); Railroad cars; Railroad tracks; Structural design; Vehicle tests
- Uncontrolled Terms: Track geometry
- Old TRIS Terms: Fra test cars; Track inspection
- Subject Areas: Planning and Forecasting; Railroads; Vehicles and Equipment;
- Accession Number: 00083026
- Record Type: Publication
- Source Agency: Federal Railroad Administration
- Report/Paper Numbers: FRA-ORD&D-75-14 Tech. Sum.
- Contract Numbers: DOT-FR-20032
- Files: TRIS, USDOT
- Created Date: Mar 6 1976 12:00AM