FIELD EVALUATION OF VOID SPACING INDICATOR
In this report a laboratory developed Void Space Indicator (VSI) has been field tested by six Districts of the Texas Highway Department. This was a test to determine the validity of the procedure for the measurement of the void spacing in an air entrained system in plastic concrete as related to the final void spacing in the hardened concrete. This test was developed from research done by Torrens and Ivey at the Texas Transportation Institute. The equipment and procedures were only slightly modified for this field testing. Projects in each District were selected and VSI tests were performed at the same time as other plastic concrete tests were conducted. Exact locations on the bridge projects were recorded for later coring operations. Cores were lifted and were examined by the linear traverse method and compared with the VSI data. Statistical analysis was run and no mathematical relationship could be established between the void spacing in plastic concrete to the void spacing in hardened concrete. The test does give the inspector a quick check on the relative size and quantity of air entrainment that is in the plastic concrete prior to the final placement. /FHWA/
- Research sponsored by Texas Highway Department and prepared in cooperation with the U.S. Department of Transportation, Federal Highway Administration.
Texas State Department of Highways & Public TranspP.O. Box 5051
Austin, TX USA 78763
- Banister, B N
- Publication Date: 1974-2
- Pagination: 47 p.
- TRT Terms: Air entrained concrete; Bridge decks; Cores (Specimens); Entrained air; Entrapped air; Field studies; Freeze thaw tests; Polymer concrete; Statistical analysis; Void ratios
- Old TRIS Terms: Core analysis; Traverse computations; Void
- Subject Areas: Construction; Data and Information Technology; Highways; Materials;
- Accession Number: 00082849
- Record Type: Publication
- Source Agency: Federal Highway Administration
- Report/Paper Numbers: Final Rpt.
- Contract Numbers: 1-9-72-504
- Files: TRIS, USDOT, STATEDOT
- Created Date: Apr 8 1975 12:00AM